What's the status of sunday sales in Minnesota?
Updated: April 21, 2015
Last week (Thursday, April 16th), the Minnesota Senate voted against an amendment made by Sen. Susan Kent to allow for the Sunday sales of beer, wine and spirits in Minnesota.
The two most important things to take away:
- We're making measurable progress
- This isn't over - by any means!
- Last Thursday the MN Senate – by a vote of 35-28 – failed to repeal the ban on Sunday sales. This is the closest vote ever to allow Sunday sales. In 2014, an amendment to repeal the Sunday sales ban was defeated by a vote of 44-22.
- Sen. Roger Reinart and Sen. Susan Kent both agree there is still the possibility of passing Sunday sales THIS YEAR. It’s now up the Minnesota House of Representatives. As Sen. Kent said - “It’s still April so it’s not done yet.”
- House Speaker Kurt Daudt has stated in news reports he fully expects an amendment to allow Sunday sales will be debated soon on the House floor. Rep. Daudt, a former opponent of Sunday sales, has since changed his opinion on the matter and is now IN FAVOR of repealing the current ban. Why? Because he acknowledges growing, strong consumer support for Sunday sales.
- After the vote, #SundaySalesMN was one of the top trending Twitter hashtags in the state. Due to this public pressure, some senators felt the need to defend their “no” votes.
- Sample tweets:
My husband is so torqued about the #SundaySalesMN bill being defeated. Says he's now a single-issue voter and this is his issue.— Erin Ghere (@eringhere) April 16, 2015
I don't even drink, but the continued denial of #SundaySalesMN in a state that's otherwise SO progressive is just baffling and nonsensical.— Adam Skoglund (@adamskoglund) April 16, 2015
Sunday sales is not about impulse purchases or failing to plan. It's about letting businesses compete in free market. #Sundaysalesmn— Diana (@speechchic101) April 16, 2015
@ThompsonSenate I'll watch. I rarely drink anything, but I am for it passing.— Tim Pitcher (@PitcherTim) April 16, 2015
Next Steps - Legislators need to hear from more consumers!
- If you haven’t already, tell your legislators to support Sunday sales of beer, wine and spirits. We’ve created a tool to help you make this a 2-minute process. Click here to act.
- Recruit family and friends to do the same.
- Sign-up for email alerts. You’ll be among the first group of people to hear about the House debate on Sunday sales. See below.